It is hard to believe that we are already in the month of October! Remember…tomorrow, Monday, 10/5 is a cohort B day.
Here is some news, information, reminders, and important dates for AES:
1. Our website has a new look. Check it out! http://asd.sau53.org/
1. Many classes have been taking advantage of the outdoor tent and other outdoor spaces and the weather has been very cooperative. We are going to leave the spaces set-up for as long as possible. Students should dress for the weather.
2. Students are encouraged to wear our school colors(green and white) on Thursday for cohort A and Friday for cohort B. Students waring school colors earn a “spirit eagle buck”. They will be able to spend their eagle bucks on activities and prizes.
3. Students do have assignments for the days that they are engaged in independent learning at home. If a student returns to school and has not completed any work and there has been no communication from the parent, the student will be marked absent for the day they were home.
4. Free lunch for all students has been extended for the rest of the 20-21 school year. If you are a family that would normally benefit from the free lunch program, you are still encouraged to complete the application. If your application is done, then any change in programming would not interrupt benefits for your student(s).
5. School Pictures are scheduled for 10/13 (cohort A) and 10/14 (cohort B). We will be looking at a timeframe for students that are remote to come in for pictures. The time has not yet been determined.
6. Since all NH students missed state testing last spring, the State of NH is having all students in grades 4-8 take an interim assessment in October. They are having students take the test from one grade below their current grade. For example, a 4th grade student would take a 3rd grade test. The purpose of the test is to help staff determine instructional goals and for the state to determine the impact of remote learning on students. Our 4th grade students will test in reading, math, writing. We will share the test schedule once it is set.
7. The drop off and pick up procedures are working pretty well. Things feel safer and afternoon pick up goes quickly. Thank you for your patience and assistance while we made these shifts.
8. This is a reminder that the bell rings at 8:10. If your student arrives after 8:10, then they are considered tardy. In addition, parents are able to call out their student 5 times a year. Absences after those 5 days require appropriate documentation or they are considered “unexcused”. The state of NH defines habitual truancy as having 5 or more full days of unexcused absences. Please get notes for the office anytime you take your student to a medical or dental appointment. This helps us keep the most accurate attendance records.
9. If your student has a device, please help to make sure that he/she brings their device to/from school. It is very difficult for them to be involved at school without a device and currently we do not have extras.
10. Mrs. Petersons has been allowing students to choose a new book for their birthday. We have enough books to make sure every student gets a “Birthday Book” this year.
Other October dates:
10/12 – No School – Holiday
10/13 and 10/14 – Picture Days
10/19 – School Board meeting at 6:00 pm at AES
10/20 – Trimester 1 progress date
10/20 – 6:00 pm is the PTO meeting (information will come directly from the PTO).