Believe it or not, two weeks from tomorrow (8/27) is the First Day of School. I am really looking forward to having the kids back in the building. It gets too quiet around here!
In anticipation of the start of the year, I wanted to share information that may be helpful for you and so that you can help make sure that your student will be off to a successful start.
1. New Staff: We are very excited to welcome the following staff the ARD community:
Bri Custer – Art Teacher
Heather Bridges – Technology/Media Specialist
Eric Whitney – 5/6 ELA
Kevin Wall – 7/8 Science
2. Summer reading and math is an expectation for all students. There is an assigned book and a choice book. The summer math is completed online. All students left in June with the information (and in some cases borrowed books), post cards were sent to all students with a reminder and today is a two week notice that it will be due on 8/27. Having this work done ensures that students can easily participate in the instruction and learning that is planned for the start of the year. If your student has not finished the work, please help him/her with time management and planning so that he/she can feel good about meeting academic expectations.
3. Important upcoming dates:
8/12/19 -School Board Meeting at AES at 6:00pm
8/27/19 – First day of school. School hours are 8:00am to 2:22pm. If students arrive after 8:00am, they are considered tardy.
8/28/19 – OPEN HOUSE and BBQ – 5:30-7:00 pm and there will be an 8th grade trip parent meeting at 7:00pm for all 8th graders and their parents. Yankee Candle Fundraising information will be handed out to 8th graders (the rest of the students will receive the information on 8/29).
8/27 and 8/28 – Soccer sign ups in the cafeteria (grades 6,7,8)
8/27 – 9/5 – Students will participate in Star and AimsWeb testing. This helps to make sure we have correct placement for classes and Eagle Block.
8/30/19 and 9/2/19 – No School (Labor Day Weekend)
9/3, 9/4, 9/5 – Soccer tryouts – Mr. Fischer will be the coach. If you have any questions about the status of an updated physical, please contact Denise Schmidt ([email protected]), or you can reach her at 485-4474 on/after 8/26.
9/10 – after school activities and the late bus will begin for all students
9/17 – School Pictures. Our picture company this year is Hochmeyer.
9/17/19 – PTO meeting at ARD at 6:00
4. Supplies lists:
5th/6th Grade Supply List
TWO 1½ inch binders. One white binder, and one color of your choice.
Tab dividers (one package is fine)
2-Pocket Folder for Science
At least 1 more folder for homework
TWO composition notebooks, ONE 1-subject notebook
Pencils, erasers, scissors and colored pencils
Glue sticks or Elmer’s glue
Pencil sharpener (hand-held)
Pencil pouch (3 ring may work the best)
Cinch sacks (optional)
7th & 8th Grade ELA Supply List
ONE ½ inch or 1-inch binder
Post-it notes (at least one cube)
TWO composition notebooks
Glue sticks or Elmer’s glue
7/8 Math supplies:
1 ½ in binder
Filler paper (NOT a notebook)
Lots of pencils
7/8 Social Studies supply list
1. 2” binder
2. Loose leaf (wide rule) paper for binder
4. Color pencils
6. Glue sticks
7/8Science – Binder and paper to start. The new teacher will provide more information at the start of the year.
5. I will send out the brakfast and lunch menus when we receive them from Food Service.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at [email protected] or call me at 485-4474. I look forward to working with you for the 2019-2020 year!